Ardagh Glass League Cup



by Chris Griffiths

THE spoils were shared on derby day after a hard-fought game which served up very few goalscoring opportunities and a number of bookings.

A point apiece was probably a fair result with the game very even and neither side really doing enough to merit winning, although the home side could argue they had the better of the little chances on offer.

Eddie McTernan threatened for Medda in the early stages when he drifted out to the left channel and used his pace to power past two Vics players but his cross was long and deep and no-one was able to get on the end of it. Vics responded as they grew into the game and Kevin Adam found a pocket of space in the Meadow box and was so close to punishing the Meadow defence as he rifled a fierce strike narrowly over the bar.

Adam was again involved shortly after when his flick found strike partner David Adams who outpaced Ryan Begley but his snap shot was comfortably saved by the visiting keeper. Rhys Devlin headed high and wide from a Ben Carson delivery for the visitors in the final chance of the half as both sides really struggle to take full control of the game.

Meadow started the second half stronger as the pace of the game picked up and five minutes into the half were presented their best goalscoring opportunity. A throw-in was chested down by Danny McKay to Eddie McTernan who unleashed a fine arrowed strike which sailed just over the bar.

The introduction of a substitute and an injury offered a break of play which seemed to offer the Vics some respite as they regained their composure.

The home side enjoyed a good spell midway through the half and were passing the ball about well. Sean Mears played a perfect through ball to Kevin Adam whose strike from 15 yards went narrowly over the bar in what was the last real chance of the game.

Both sides made changes but that did not seem to change the flow of the game as it fizzled out with both defences on top throughout and neither keeper really worked.