Staff at Crosshouse Hospital have been praised for their resilience following a fire.

As revealed by the Irvine Times last week, a blaze broke out in the hospital kitchen following an electrical problem.

The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was hurt but due to the damage, hospital bosses revealed that no hot food would be served to patients.

But patients today praised staff for their hard work and dedication at keeping meal times ticking over.

Kilwinning man Alfie Campbell was in Ward 4F in the hospital last week and told the Times the care he received was “outstanding”.

He said: “I have been in here for three-and-a-half weeks and I was here when the fire alarm went off.

“The staff did everything they could to make sure no one was panicked and said we would only need to evacuate if absolutely necessary. In the end it wasn’t so that was a relief.

“Then they told us there was a fire and it meant they couldn’t give us hot food, but those nurses and kitchen staff have gone above and beyond to make sure every single one of us gets a good sandwich and a bowl of soup.

“Before the fire the food was excellent.

“Too many times you hear about people complaining about hospital and the care they received but the staff in here have done themselves and patients proud. They have been outstanding.”

John Wright, Director for Corporate Support Services said: “Following a small fire within a plant room located in the kitchen area at University Hospital Crosshouse, we have been unable to provide hot meals for patients or staff.

“Contingency plans are in place to minimise any disruption to our patients. Since the fire, we have been providing our patients with hot soup and a choice of sandwiches.

“Arrangements are now being put in place which will allow us to provide a range of hot meals for our patients.”

Fire engines managed to tackle the blaze meaning wards did not have to be evacuated. Sources told the Times smoke could be seen from outside the hospital grounds.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were alerted at 7.05am on Monday, August 12 to an automatic fire alarm signal at University Hospital Crosshouse.

“In total, Operations Control mobilised five fire appliances to the scene, where crews extinguished a small fire within the kitchen area.

“There were no reported casualties.

“Crews ventilated the building involved and left at 8.41am after ensuring the area was safe.”