A Kilwinning thug is facing jail over a savage snooker cue attack on a rival pool player in a pub in the town - leading to his victim losing two teeth.

Christopher Mair had been playing pool with his victim, who was out to celebrate finishing his exams, in The Home Bar, in Kilwinning Main Street.

But Mair lost the plot after his victim called him a “jammy b******” over a shot he’d played - prompting Mair to launch in to such a savage, unprovoked attack that left his victim scarred for life.

Mair, of Abbots Avenue, Kilwinning, appeared in the dock at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court and admitted his guilt over the events of May 8 last year.

He admitted assaulting his victim to his severe injury, and leaving him scarred for life, by striking him with a snooker cue.

Procurator Fiscal Depute Ruairidh Ferguson said: “The complainer was a student at the time.

“He had finished his exams that day and went out drinking that evening to celebrate.

“He was in The Home Bar, in Kilwinning, playing pool.

“He was playing pool with the accused, who was not someone he knows.

“It became apparent to him that he was losing the game and he made a remark to the accused, following a shot, along the lines of the accused was ‘a jammy b******’.

“The accused did not take kindly to that comment and said to him, ‘don’t call me a b******, I don’t like that phrase’.”

Mair’s victim had meant the comment as “banter”, but an incensed Mair went on the attack, using the pool cue he was playing with as a makeshift weapon.

Mr Ferguson said: “The accused took his next shot and the complainer was looking down at his mobile phone.

“While he was looking down, the accused struck him across the jaw with the thick end of the pool cue.”

The victim fell to the floor, unconscious, and other people in the pub jumped in to bring the assault to an end.

The victim, who had blood on his face, was taken to Crosshouse Hospital on a bus by his friends, who were in the pub with him.

Police were contacted by the victim’s mum, after she found out what had happened, and officer attended the bar and checked CCTV footage.

The incident itself had not been captured on camera, but Mair was identified on the CCTV footage.

Officers traced him to his home and he asked: “Is this about the incident at Home?”

Mair was arrested, and made no reply to caution and charge.

At the hospital, medics discovered the victim had a fracture to the left side of his jaw, which affected four roots from two of his wisdom teeth, and one on the right side of his jaw, affecting the root of a third tooth.

Emergency surgery was required, under general anaesthetic, to fit a dental plate and screws, and two teeth were removed.

He was kept in hospital for three days, before being discharged, and the incident also left him with a swollen and bruised shoulder.

Sheriff Alistair Watson was told that Mair had snapped because his victim called him “a jammy b******” twice and that “he reacted by lashing out.”

The judge pointed out Mair’s previous conviction for an assault with a glass - and blasted him over his latest attack.

He said: “This is an absolutely appalling and violent incident which has no real provocation.

“A person has been left injured and they required emergency surgery and will no doubt be affected for the rest of his life - for no reason whatsoever.

“The reality is it’s highly likely you will go to prison for this, however, I’ll try to keep an open mind as much as I can.

“You’d do well to prepare yourself for the fact a prison sentence may follow.”

He called for background reports to be prepared for sentencing, continued Mair’s bail, and adjourned the case until next month.

He could face five years. Mair could be caged for as long as five years when he returns to the dock to learn his fate.