A Kilwinning man who tried to kill a businessman who assaulted his sister has been caged.

John Pollock left Michael Barbour severely brain damaged after the street attack in Irvine on July 15 last year.

And when he appeared from custody for sentencing at the High Court in Edinburgh, Pollock was sentenced to six years behind bars for the offence. 

Builder Pollock - who has previously served time in jail for serious violence - had admitted a charge of attempted murder.

The High Court in Glasgow previously heard Barbour, 44, had pleaded guilty earlier in 2019 to assaulting Pollock's sister, with whom he had been in a relationship, sparking "feelings of anger" in Pollock leading to the assault.

Property investor Barbour and Pollock's sister had once been a couple.

Barbour pleaded guilty in January 2020 to assaulting her three years earlier, as well as to a charge of disorderly conduct.

On the night of the murder bid, Barbour returned to Irvine after having a meal in Glasgow when Pollock, 45, leapt out of his car.

Referring what happened with his sister, Pollock yelled: "Do that again and I will f*****g kill you."

After demanding Barbour apologise, Pollock then battered the victim to the ground.

Prosecutor Mark McGuire told the court: "He repeatedly stamped on his head shouting: 'you are sorry now'.

"He then repeatedly kicked him as he lay motionless.

"Finally ending, he shouted: 'next time you do it, I will f*****g kill you'."

Pollock, of Kilwinning, fled as shocked witnesses helped Barbour.

The victim was rushed to hospital and ended up in a coma.

Mr McGuire added: "Such was his condition, his family were initially told that he was unlikely to survive.

"It was confirmed he had suffered significant brain damage, but was later able to be placed into a rehab unit."

Barbour has since returned home, but one doctor said he will "not return to full health".

The court heard he will need long term support, has no memory of the attack, and the brain injury affects his emotions.

Pollock was held by police, but denied even seeing Barbour that night.

Lady Scott remanded him in custody as sentencing was deferred for reports.

And when he returned to court today [November 10], Pollock was jailed for six years, backdated to July 17, 2020, when he was first remanded in custody.

The sentence was reduced from eight years due to Pollock's early guilty plea.