Irvine Meadow co-manager Colin Spence refused to blame the conditions, or his side going down to 10 men, for Saturday’s humbling defeat to Cumbernauld.

Medda started on the front foot, dominating the first half with the wind, quite literally, in their sails.

They took the lead 27 minutes in as ‘keeper Waters rolled the ball to Jared Willet who’s run and early cross found Del McNab in the box who deftly flicked the ball home.

They had chances to extend their lead but remained only one up at half time.

Then Spence said his team was “unrecognisable” in the second half.

Cumbernauld drew level after 51 minutes. Willet failed to get the ball under control, giving away a foul. From the resulting free kick, the ball was fizzed in and Waters failed to gather the ball, allowing Stephen McDevitt to poke home.

Seven minutes later they took the lead after some great last ditch defending, including a remarkable goalline clearance, was all in vein as Liam Gormley smashed the ball in with Cumbernauld’s fourth attempt at it.

Kyle Faulds then received a second caution, leaving Medda with 10 men, and Spence said his side did not react well to this.

The boss said: “It’s not an excuse, we’ve had 10 men before and we’ve came from behind with 10 men this season and won games.

“You can’t let a red card decision affect you that much. We lost our rhythm, we lost our shape, we made it far too easy for Cumbernauld.”

The home side doubled their advantage after Mick Wardrope gave away a penalty which Klark Thompson duly dispatched, smashing it down the middle.

David Cameron rounded off the scoring on 78 minutes, losing his marker from a free kick and prodding the ball home.

Spence said it could be “a damaging day for us” having lost Graham Boyd and Fraser McMillan to injury early on.

This means with Del McNab cup tied, and Kyle Faulds potentially suspended as well, Medda could be heading into next week’s match against Auchinleck Talbot, in the South of Scotland Cup, with a threadbare squad.