A DRUNK driver who crashed his car on an Irvine roundabout while almost four times the limit told cops who found him in the early hours of the morning: "I f****d it."

Appearing at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week, Harry Brooke admitted charges of driving while under the influence of alcohol and driving without due care and attention following the incident on September 25 this year.

The 27-year-old lost control of his vehicle at Stanecastle Roundabout and collided with a lamppost before fleeing the scene.

Thursday's (October 27) hearing was told that Brooke, who works full time as a roofer, had been at a friend's house with his girlfriend the night before and had been drinking.

Brooke's solicitor, Peter Murray, told the court that his client had intended to stay overnight at the house, before the couple fell out and Brooke "made the foolish decision" to drive to his home in Brown Walk.

Procurator fiscal depute Alison McFadyen said: "At 5.10am on September 25 police were on mobile patrol when they approached Stanecastle Roundabout and observed a white vehicle stationary on the roundabout with its hazard lights on.

"The car was facing the wrong way with the driver's door open.

"There was a small fire within the driver's footwell, the airbags had deployed, three tyres were deflated and a lamppost was damaged that appeared to have been struck by the vehicle.

"The accused was listed as the driver of the vehicle on the insurance policy. Police attended his home address and traced him within the garden of the property.

"When he saw police he stated: 'I f****d it.'"

The police officers noted that Brooke smelled strongly of alcohol and had dilated pupils. He failed a roadside breath test and was later taken to Saltcoats police office.

A further test returned a reading of 81mcg/100ml of blood; the legal limit is 22mcg/100ml.

Defending, Mr Murray said: "He failed to negotiate the roundabout causing the vehicle to collide with a lamppost.

"The bottom line is that he should have been nowhere near the vehicle at that stage."

Sheriff Murdoch MacTaggart fined Brooke a total of £640, payable at a rate of £50 per week, and disqualified him from driving for 12 months.