A THUG caught tucking into food at an Irvine bakers after horrifically beating his victim has been jailed for six years and nine months.

Graham Garforth, 30, attacked and robbed Alexander Trainer, who had become known for his "perceived wealth" after a compensation payout.

Mr Trainer suffered a bleed on the brain after an ordeal lasting hours at his home in Kilmarnock.

Garforth was caught on CCTV hours after the attack using his bank card in Irvine's Greggs.

He was sentenced having earlier pled guilty to assaulting and robbing his 35 year-old victim to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and to the danger of his life.

The High Court in Glasgow earlier heard how Mr Trainer - who was left impaired down his left side as a result of an incident as a child - had later received a compensation payment.

The exact sum was not revealed at the hearing.

But, prosecutor Michelle Brannagan said: "People in the local area are said to be aware of this and his perceived wealth."

Mr Trainer had been out in Kilmarnock on February 22 last year before ending up in the company of Garforth and two women at a bar.

He did not know Garforth before that night.

Mr Trainer went on to spend "a fair bit on money" buying drinks for the group.

The victim, Garforth and one of the women then ended up back at his house.

Garforth, also of Kilmarnock, suddenly became aggressive there and started making comments towards Mr Trainer.

The victim believed he may have been hit after reacting to what Garforth said.

His recollection of his ordeal was described as "fragmented" but "vivid" at points.

Mr Trainer recalled cowering on the floor, already bleeding as Garforth punched him.

Miss Brannagan : "At a later stage, Alexander Trainer was lying in a doorway with Garforth repeatedly slamming the door against his head. 

"He put his foot against his throat and applied pressure to it."

The victim tried to crawl away, but was grabbed and choked until he lost consciousness.

Miss Brannagan: "He next recalls his pet cat coming into the house, he was crying and telling the cat he was okay.

"Garforth appears to have overheard and returned to the hallway where he resumed the beating."

Garforth demanded to know where any valuables were and went into a further rage when told there were none.

The court heard the terrified victim was subjected to a "continuous beating within various rooms of the house".

This also included a mirror being smashed over his head, a Stanley knife brandished at him and again strangled.

Garforth went on to ask for PIN codes for bank cards threatening: "Do not lie or you will die."

He eventually stopped the attack and left taking Mr Trainer's wallet, phone as well as a bottle of whisky.

The victim meantime waited before going out a back door to alert a neighbour.

The court heard he suffered a bleed on the brain, a suspected fractured cheekbone, heavy bruising and swelling, but was luckily later able to leave hospital.

It emerged Garforth went on to use one of the victim's bank cards initially unsuccessful in trying to withdraw cash.

However, he was able to make a contactless payment for cigarettes at a petrol station in Kilmarnock.

Around an hour later, he was clocked on CCTV at a Greggs branch at the Rivergate Shopping Centre in Irvine, Ayrshire.

Miss Brannagan said he was seen "purchasing food before sitting in to eat".

Garforth was eventually arrested days later.

Sentencing, Lord Matthews told Garforth he was guilty of a "shocking attack" with the victim still traumatised.

He added: "He has been unable to do the work for which he trained at college and university.

"Among other expenditure, he has had to pay for extra security to feel safe in his home.

"This is a home he is doing up so he can rent it out or sell because he cannot heal if he still has to live there."

Garforth will also be supervised for three years on his release.