A MAN has been charged after a person was taken to hospital following a multi-vehicle crash on the A78 near Kilwinning.

The incident took place on the northbound section of the busy road around 5.30pm on Thursday, June 13.

It prompted a mass emergency response and part of the carriageway was closed for around two-and-a-half hours as a result of the collision.

Traffic was heavily congested with motorists queued back for miles in the hours that followed.

The incident saw nine people require treatment at the scene - with all later released without requiring further attention.

A 23-year-old woman was taken to Crosshouse Hospital for further assessment and has since been released.

Police Scotland have now confirmed that the driver of one of the vehicles, a 25-year-old man, has now been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

A force spokesperson said: “Around 5.30pm on Thursday, June 13, 2024 we were called to a four-vehicle crash on the A78, near the Pennyburn roundabout, in Kilwinning. 

“Emergency services attended and a 23-year-old woman was taken to hospital for treatment and later released. 

“The driver of one of the vehicles, a 25-year-old man, was charged in connection with road traffic offences and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal. 

“The road was closed to allow for recovery and reopened around 7.55pm.” 

A spokesperson for the Scottish Ambulance Service (SAS) added: "We received a call at 5.43pm on Thursday, June 13, to attend a five-car road traffic collision on the A78 near the Pennyburn roundabout.

"We dispatched multiple resources to the scene and one patient was transported to Crosshouse Hospital.”

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) say that they sent five appliances to the scene with two people being removed from vehicles.

An SFRS spokesperson added: "We were alerted at 5.45pm on Thursday, June 13, to reports of a road traffic collision involving five private vehicles at the Pennyburn roundabout on the A78, Kilwinning.

"Operations control mobilised five appliances to the scene.

"Firefighters safely removed two people who were trapped within their vehicle, one of whom was transferred to University Hospital Crosshouse.

“Nine casualties were assessed by the Scottish Ambulance Service but required no further treatment.

"Crews ensured the area was made safe before leaving the scene."