A teenage rapist who had sex with underage girls after meeting them on Facebook is behind bars.

Mark Woods regularly met up with the three youngsters – including one who was only 12.

A judge heard how the 19-year-old had sex with her after initially playing computer games.

Woods has now been locked up for three years and four months at the High Court in Glasgow.

He had earlier admitted raping the 12-year-old and charges of having underage sex with the two other girls.

Woods, of Stewarton, will be supervised for a further three years on his release.

The crimes occurred between April 2015 and March this year.

A hearing was told how Woods struck up an “online friendship” with the 12 year-old.

They then went on to have an eight-month “sexual relationship” despite her age.

The first time was when the child travelled to meet Woods at the home he shared with his parents.

After it happened again, the youngster had to visit a sexual health clinic to get a morning after pill.

The court also heard Woods got the schoolgirl to take an indecent video and photos of herself.

The second child – aged 13 initially – got a friend request on Facebook from Woods in September 2015.

He went on to also have sexual contact with the youngster on an almost “weekly basis” for the next 14 months.

This happened at both Woods home and where the girl lived in Ayrshire.

This included him having “consensual” sex with her in September 2016.

She believed no one was aware of her relationship with Woods.

The final girl was aged 13-14 when she got to know Woods via the social media site.

In November 2015 they started regularly sending private messages to each other.

This included Woods stating the girl was “fit” and asking did she do “pics”.

She went on to tell him that she was 14.

But, Woods went to ask the girl if she wanted to have sex with him. This happened on November 25, 2015.

The pair had sex again in early 2017 after Woods got in touch.

Woods first faced charges in September 2016 and later freed on bail by a sheriff.

But, he flouted the order by contacting one of the girls and was remanded in March this year.

Brian McConnachie QC, defending, said Woods had realised his actions were “wrong”.

Lord Beckett told Woods: "I have come to the conclusion that there is no other suitable sentence than one of detention.”

The teenager will be on the sex offenders list indefinitely.