West Region Sectional League Cup
By Stewart McConnell
DOUBLE hero Brendan Sharpe at Victoria Park last night helped Meadow enjoy bragging rights until the fierce foes meet again in the Marymass Derby.
Spirited Vics battled back from behind to make a game of it but ultimately the experience in Brian McGinty's team helped them get over the line against a youthful home side.
However the win counted for little as Troon defeated Craigmark to claim top spot in the group.
Meadow blasted into the lead in just 12 minutes as Sharpe netted from close range after his initial effort had been saved by Blair Cousar.
In 18 minutes visiting player Andy McLaughlin shot just over the bar from 10 yards.
However Vics went close three minutes later when Ryan Morrow hoisted a 25-yard shot just over the bar.
Morrow then sent a shot from just inside the box narrowly wide as Vics tried to get back into the game in 33 minutes.
However two minutes later former Queen's Park striker Sharpe picked up a loose ball and drilled a great effort home from 10 yards.
McLaughlin then saw a 10-yard shot blocked by the legs of Cousar in 38 minutes. However two minutes later poor defending by Meadow let he hosts back into it. Trialist goalie Callum Dillon dropped the ball into the path of striker Danny Wilson who drilled the ball home.
Two minutes later a penalty was awarded to Medda when Sharpe was upended inside the box by Ryan Singleton. However the target man was denied his hat-trick as he sent the spot-kick effort wide. Right on the interval a goalden strike put Vics right back in it as Morrow sent a swerving 25-yard effort into the top corner.
Medda were unlucky in 54 minutes when a Jordan McGuire shot from 12 yards was deflected wide by the Vics defence. However in 57 minutes Meadow were awarded another penalty when Sharpe was adjudged to have been pulled down inside the box although there looked to have been little contact and this time Reece Pearson netted from the spot
The visitors were coasting in 64 minutes when substitute Adam Forsyth scored with his first touch from the edge of the box to make it 4-2.
Forsyth netted again in 78 minutes but the flag had gone up for offside.
IRVINE VICTORIA: Cousar; Craig, Singleton, Holden, Sommerville, Farrell,  Smith, Morrow, McDade, Thomson, Wilson. Subs: Macaulay, McLuckie, Murdoch, Loughlin, Running.
IRVINE MEADOW: Dillon; Latta, Willet, McLennan, Slooves,  Devlin, Pearson, McGuire, Sharpe, McLaughlin, McCrea. Subs: Forsyth, McTernan, Paterson,  Spence.