McBookie Premiership



By Calum Corral

BUFFS romped to victory as they dominated this contest from start to finish with the only surprise being that they didn’t add a lot more.

Former Abbey Park keeper Ross Lundy was the big reason behind that as he pulled off save after save to the waves of Kilwinning attacks, particularly in the first half.

The hosts nearly scored within 25 seconds of kick-off in a lightening quick start as Alex McWaters went racing down the left channel and scooped the ball over Ross Lundy’s head. It seemed a certain goal but the ball seemed to hang in the air due to wind giving Thistle defender Ross Love just enough time to loop his leg and pull off an incredible clearance off the line. It was the first of many let-offs for Largs.

Kilwinning missed some decent openings in the opening 20 minutes but Largs had arguably their best chance of the game during this spell as a clever Paul Harkins step over released Kieran Brophy on the left but his direct shot was blocked by Buffs goalie David Markey. But it was his opposing number one who became the major stumbling block to Kilwinning as they went on to dominate the first half. Lundy, by hook or by crook, managed to get his body in the way of four good chances including a Dean Agnew breakaway on the right, Ben Lewis twice, and Garry Fleming. The only breather Largs had during that manic spell was when Simon McBryde sent a Harkins through ball wide. The half-time whistle sounded as Kilwinning management, players and fans couldn’t believe the scoreline was still level. Thistle opened the second half well with Brophy sending an impressive overhead kick over the bar. Ross Love also had an opportunity as Kilwinning cleared off the line, but Buffs kept on pushing forward and their opener arrived in 54 minutes. It was a terrific finish from Carlo Monti who turned his man and drilled the ball into the top left hand corner. The second goal which really was the killer came from Lewis who outmuscled George Sewell on the left hand byeline and blasted home on the angle.

Largs sub Ben Black turned and twisted past defenders on the left but his stinging effort was deflected wide. However, Kilwinning rounded off the scoring in style on full-time after a long ball from keeper Markey. The ball bounced onto Monti who feinted past some challenges before delivering the ball past Lundy in clinical fashion.

KILWINNING RANGERS: Markey; Hewitt, McCloskey, Maitland, Syme, Frye, Agnew, Fleming, Monti, Lewis, McWaters. Subs: Whyte, Hanvey, Tan, McColm, Strain (gk).