Macron Scottish Junior Cup Fourth Round



By Stewart McConnell

BONFIRE night was three weeks ago but these big Ayrshire rivals combined to produce something of a damp squib of a Scottish Cup tie at Meadow Park.

The touch-paper was never lit and there were few sparks of inspiration on what was a grey autumn day. It was just one of those afternoons when a much-hyped match, dubbed the game of the round, failed to live up to its billing. However, there were some openings at both ends.

Glens began well with a couple of attacks in the opening five minutes. Then at the other end in 10 minutes striker Brendan Sharpe squeezed a shot from eight yards narrowly wide.

The hosts were denied a strong penalty claim in 14 minutes when Sharpe appeared to be tripped inside the box and the striker was booked for diving.

Visiting player Lee Gallacher sent a 20-yard free-kick well over the bar in 21 minutes and a minute later home goalie Paddy O’Neil dived to save at the feet of Matt Reilly.

Gallacher sent a lob well over the bar as Glens continued to dominate in 27 minutes and a minute later Paddy O’Neil tipped a strong Mick McCann effort round the post.

Medda were denied another potential penalty in 37 minutes when Sharpe was sent tumbling inside the box by Craig Menzies.

Glens came close a minute after the break when a rasping 25-yard drive from Gallacher was well handled by O’Neil.

Medda made a change in 66 minutes when Colin Spence was replaced by Darren Jones. Visiting player Ally Cairns was booked for a lunge on Andy McLaughlin in 68 minutes and the resultant free-kick from Lee McCrea was well saved.

Six minutes later home substitute Eddie McTernan saw his shot from eight yards well saved. Glens went close in 77 minutes when a bullet header eight yards out from Findlay Frye glanced just over the bar. Sharpe was booked for a late tackle two minutes later. Another chance was spurned by Meadow in 84 minutes when a 10-yard effort from Mark McLennan was well saved. In stoppage time McLaughlin sent a 25-yard free-kick well over the bar. Jones set up McLennan, whose eight yard shot was saved a minute later. Saturday’s replay at Loch Park will hopefully be a more lively affair.

IRVINE MEADOW: O’Neil: Latta, McCrea, Slooves, Gow, Carnwath, McLennan, Spence, Sharpe, McLaughlin, Willet. Subs: Jones, Pearson, Woods, McTernan, McLean.

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC: Wilson; Park, Cairns, Menzies, Pettigrew, Marlow, Frye, Moore, McCann, Gallacher, Reilly. Subs: Andrew, Orsi, Nisbet, McChesney, Burns.