Ardagh Group West of Scotland Cup Second Round



FORM team Meadow saw off ‘Lie in the first game between the sides since the Premier Division play-off won by the hosts 18 months ago.

They chalked up a fourth win on the spin but should have won much more easily by taking a host of other chances. However they played some scintillating football in the period around their second and third goals and in this kind of mood are a match for anyone.

Arthurlie had a good early chance in eight minutes when Tony Etherson shot narrowly wide. At the other end a minute later, Eddie McTernan sent an effort just wide.

However in 11 minutes Arthurlie took the lead when a David Reid corner-kick was helped into the net by home goalie Paddy O’Neil. Two minutes later a McTernan shot from 12 yards was saved by former Meadow goalie Craig Gordon, who then held a 30 yard effort from Mark McLennan two minutes later.

However in 18 minutes it was all-square when a fine McTernan corner-kick was headed on by Jared Willet to Calum Gow, who nudged it into the net from all of two yards.

Andy McLaughlin sent a left foot drive well over the bar on the half hour and 11 minutes later another one from 18 yards sent a similar way.

A McLennan free-kick from 22 yards was blocked by the Arthurlie wall two minutes later. Then in 44 minutes a McTernan effort from eight yards was saved by Gordon.

A McTernan rocket from 16 yards was well saved by Gordon on half-time.

Darren Jones netted for Meadow two minutes after the break, however the “goal” was chalked off for offside.

Medda deservedly went ahead in 56 minutes when Calum Gow set up Mark McLennan to rifle home an unstoppable shot home from eight yards.

Then three minutes later a Willet corner-kick was powerfully headed home from six yards by McTernan.

It was total one-way traffic and Meadow came close in 72 minutes when an Andy McLaughlin rocket from 22 yards was well saved.

Colin Spence saw his shot from eight yards well saved by Gordon in 79 minutes.

Etherson crashed home a shot to make it 3-2 in 88 minutes but Meadow progressed.

IRVINE MEADOW: O’Neil; Latta, Willet, Gow, Slooves, McGuire, McLennan, Jones, McTernan, Spence, McLaughlin. Subs: Wells, Woods, Sharpe, Miller.