Ladbrokes Premiership

IT might have looked like a Halloween horror show from the score for Steve Clarke's first game at Rugby Park but it was anything but, writes Stephen Bark.

Clinical finishing saw Hibernian score three of their four chances whilst a dominant Kilmarnock were thwarted by a combination of the woodwork and inspired goalkeeping by Ofir Marciano.

Killie started the game well and looked to press Hibs from the off with Jordan Jones and Kris Boyd leading the line.

However, Hibs took the lead after 10 minutes. David Gray had threatened on the right before and his cross was powered home by John McGinn from six yards. Clarke may have worked wonders in Glasgow but the defence in Kilmarnock still needs some work.

Hibs dominated possession but failed to create any clear cut opportunities. The home side created two good openings in the first half.

The first saw Rory McKenzie hit the post from 25 yards before Greg Taylor's cross was headed onto the cross bar and off the line by Boyd.

In the second half, Killie came out all guns blazing and created three good chances in 10 minutes.

Boyd should have scored on 48 minutes after a driving run from Jones saw the midfielder square the ball to Boyd in the six yard box but somehow the Hibs defence managed to scramble clear.

Boyd then had a free-kick tipped over the bar by Marciano before a curling effort from Jones was destined for the top corner only to be plucked from the air by the Isreali keeper.

Killie were hit with a sucker punch on the hour mark when an excellent flowing move by Hibs saw Gray set up Simon Murray for a tap in.

With the result slipping away, the home side continued to push for the goal their play deserved. Adam Frizzell's free-kick from the corner of the box found Lee Erwin but his header was saved and moments later Taylor set up Frizzell who sent the ball wide.

Boyd had one final free-kick deflect round the post by the wall before Hibs scored again right at the death.

It summed up Killie's night as every break of the ball from three separate tackles fell for the away side as Martin Boyle raced through and slotted the ball beyond Jamie MacDonald.

KILMARNOCK: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Greer, Broadfoot, Findlay, Power, McKenzie (Erwin 74), Taylor, Burke (Frizzell 55), K Boyd, Jones. Subs: Thomas, S Boyd, Waters, Brophy, Bell.

Att 5,005