McBookie Super League First Division



By Stewart McConnell

RESURGENT Meadow completed back-to-back League wins for the first time since the start of the season as they edged out Kilsyth in a tight clash.

The result moves them up to ninth spot and is a huge boost ahead of Saturday's Scottish Junior Cup last 16 clash at home to East Superleague team Lochee United.

Medda had a great chance in two minutes when Jared Willet burst into the box, but he was foiled by a tackle from a defender 12 yards out.

Then in eight minutes Kilsyth came close when Gary Kerr headed behind goal from eight yards. Medda had the ball in the net three minutes later when Con Boyle tapped the ball home from 12 yards but the "goal" was chalked off for offside, although there didn't look to be much in it.

Then a free-kick from 25 yards by home skipper Ben Carson, playing in a more defensive role, was pushed clear by visiting goalie David Kane in 18 minutes.

A cross into the box from Willet was hooked away by a visiting defender.

Willet then saw his shot from outside the box scrambled out for a corner in 27 minutes. At the other end a minute later a Mark Duffy effort from 12 yards was deflected wide by a defender.

Scott Davidson had his shot from 12 yards smothered by Shaun Newman in the Medda goal in 33 minutes after Carson had slipped on the edge of the box.

Rhys Devlin had a shot from the edge of the box turned away by a Kilsyth defender in 44 minutes as Medda kept pushing.

Kilsyth were unlucky in 50 minutes when a Philip Dolan effort from 12 yards was palmed away by Newman.

A great three-man move saw Medda go close in 57 minutes when Willet set up Eddie McTernan who in turn set up Boyle but his delicate chip from six yards was tipped over the bar by Kane.

Medda were unlucky yet again in 70 minutes when when a McTernan shot was turned wide by the Kilsyth defence. However from the resultant corner-kick Ryan Begley nodded to Rhys Devlin who headed home,

The hosts came close once again in 83 minutes when Paul McQuilken chipped over the bar from 16 yards. Meadow had a lucky escape a minute later when a shot from just inside the box from Andrew McLaughlin was deflected into the side netting by a home defender.

But they held on to clinch an important three points.

This victory suggests they could be in with a shout of a top six place but a lot of hard work still lies ahead. In saying that, team spirit is better than it has been all season.

IRVINE MEADOW: Newman; McQuilken, McCrea, Begley, Gow, Carson, Devlin, McGuire, McTernan, Willet, Boyle. Subs: Buchanan, Boyd, Carnwath, Marks, Gordon (gk).

KILSYTH RANGERS: Duke; Dolan, Denholm, Hughes, Harrison, G Kelly, Smith, Davidson, Dolan, McFadden, F Kelly. Subs: McLaughlin, Pearson, Diack, Kane (gk).