McBookie Super League Premier Division



By Christopher Dodds

MILESTONE man Davie Anderson celebrated his 250th Kilbirnie Ladeside appearance with the match-winning goal as the hosts put themselves back in the mix for the title with victory against league leaders Kilwinning Rangers.

It was the second successive defeat for Buffs.

The Ladeside legend put his side in front with a fantastically worked goal inside 10 minutes. After stealing the ball in the middle of the park, played a one-two with striker Jon Scullion 30 yards out, he received the ball 20 yards out, took a touch by Buffs defender Craig Pettigrew and proceeded to fire it past visiting goalie Michael Wardrope Snr into the top left hand corner, capping off a fine move between the two.

It was Anderson's third strike in four games.

The Blasties continued their pressure and nearly made it 2-0 as Reece Williamson headed over a John Sweeney free-kick from 12 yards.

The league leaders came into the game and Carlo Monti had their first real sight of goal as he turned his man, cut in from the left and hit a fierce shot which was deflected wide.

Ladeside again came close through Anderson, who was teed up by David Crerand 25 yards out to strike the ball first time out only for a defender to stick out a leg and take the power out of the shot and send it bouncing into Wardrope's grasp.

Kilwinning midfielder Michael Wardrope Jnr had a header magnificently stopped by man-of the match Kieran Hughes, who got down low and reached to his left, stopping a certain goal.

Half-time substitute Bryan Boylan - who came on for James Latta - received the ball on the right hand side of the area, turned his man and managed to get a strike away across the goal, for Hughes again to get a vital touch and see it wide.

Just after the hour mark, ex Blasties defender Joe Coleman found himself marauding down the right hand side cut inside and curled a shot high and left of the upright.

Seven minutes from time Carlo Monti was felled in the box by Cory Hughes' outstretched leg. After much protest from the Ladeside rearguard Monti stepped up, hit a crisp shot towards the bottom left corner, which Ladeside stopper Kieran Hughes was equal too, diving down to his right and sub Juskowiak cleared for a corner.

KILBIRNIE LADESIDE: K Hughes; Roberts, C Hughes, Sweeney, O'Byrne, McLaren, Finlay, Anderson, Crerand, Scullion, Williamson, Stokes, Halliday, Juskowiak, Tuohy, Wilton.

KILWINNING RANGERS: M Wardrope Snr; Coleman, McCloskey, Pettigrew, Whyte, Latta, Monti, McGuinness, Nisbet, M Wardrope, Winters. Subs: Hanvey, Lewis, Boylan, Hill.